This should be the last update before the feature sets of Express and Sparks editions are being balanced out. There are still things to do, but we need to get to the release of 2.0, so we can finally make some music for tutorials, etc.
Fundamental things had to be rearranged again, so we expect a few crashes to occur, which however can be fixed with a patch very quickly. Please report here, thanks.
- Streamlined fundamental parameter selection behavior
- Fixed a stubborn input focus issue for the umpteenth time in the hope it will go away
- Fixed a long standing issue that caused mouse movement to refresh views unnecessarily
- Show global pre-roll measures on all rulers (Sync inspector setting)
- Show a hint that Scheme, Harmony have nothing to show on track lanes
- Harmony lane appeared scrolled down at times
- New: Container >> Pack Selected Phrases
- Phrase Pool: Tab selection did not update focus of inspector (disabled)
- Phrase Pool: Keep parameter selection when another phrase is selected
- Matrix: Keep parameter selection when another track is selected
- Matrix: Should be able to resize top structure view
- Library: View/Grid was defunct
- Library: Improved parameter thumbnails
- Library: Phrase preview was sometimes cut off at start due to slow patch selection
- Library: Improved Library >> New Phrase From Selection
- Parameters in alias containers should show as read-only, not as background
- Progression page should ignore negative Figure offsets
- Factories: Option to enable quintuplets in addition to triplets
- Factories: Fixed issues with adding generated phrases to existing pool
- Factories: New factory for Dynamics
- Windows: Recommend DPI scaling 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 to avoid graphics glitches
- Sound Wizard did not save sound when rack module was newly created
- Fixed several graphics glitches
- Printing was broken (progressions, palettes)
- Progression Editor: Improved layer selection
- Catalog: Improved user interface
- Catalog: Improved display of interval structures on keyboard
- Catalog: Fixed issues with editing and updating of open palettes, documents
- Catalog: Added 14th intervals, although rarely used
- Catalog: Highlight user-defined structures
- Catalog: Support undo
- Catalog: Ability to merge catalogs
- Keyboard shortcuts for catalog and scale selection preferences
- Cleaned up grouping and ordering of parameter block
- Fixed crashes with Dynamics parameter
- Rhythm name should always be read-only
- Global parameters were missing from track menus
- Constant parameter values should show in color and w/minimal grid
- Numerical parameters transposed with keys should quantize in increments
- Provide a hint in inspector area when Global Parameters are selected
- Single-parameter phrases and pools (e.g. Harmony) should be dropable on container
- Improved drag/drop replacement warning messages
- Use larger default zoom for instant editing
- Harmony should not disappear so early when zoooming out
- Thumbnails should have a minimum zoom limit
- Progression: Jazz Up/Down altered the verse scheme
- Clicking on Eye button with SHIFT held should apply change to all containers
- Zoom: Support toggle A/B for most pages of arrange window
- Zoom: Hold SHIFT on A/B button to fit content
- Zoom: Local zoom state not retained per container
- Zoom: Improved scaling of content
- Zoom: Improved scrollbar buttons repeat frequency
- Fixed a crash with notation export
- Fixed issues with container structure ordering
- Fixed a bug that muted audio feedback on segment selection
- Fixed a bug with Interpretation and inheritance
- Phrase pool list did not always update on left sidebar
- Palette: Selecting a preset should replace Harmony only with standalone palette app
- Dynamics: Ability to convert from Step, Quantize (accentuations)
- Editing: Only Figure and Harmony should snap to grid while being stretched
- Dropping a phrase from a library did not copy Interpretation
Mon, 2022-08-15 - 07:22 Permalink
Importing drum MIDI leads to fatal crashes.
Mon, 2022-08-15 - 09:38 Permalink
Can't reproduce yet. Can you send to support a midi file that crashes? Or submit a crash report.
Mon, 2022-08-15 - 16:32 Permalink
Hi, I want to see that "force legato" works, now it select the whole segment.
I want to be able to extent the span ruler also to the left without to have to draw the whole span again.
Be able to select second tool with shortcuts to current tool.
Perhaps a bug, auto cords play a short note not a whole bar, also the auto bass do the same!
Tue, 2022-08-16 - 12:43 Permalink
MIDI File attached and Error logs online sent.
EDIT 2022-08-16: After a restart of Synfire the problem does no longer exist, can no longer be reproduced.
Tue, 2022-08-16 - 02:36 Permalink
Imported into 2.0.8 on Win10. worked fine with no crash.
Wed, 2022-08-17 - 08:04 Permalink
When starting 2.0.8 #3, the catalogue cannot be accessed.
Any idea ?
Wed, 2022-08-17 - 10:03 Permalink
The menu item should be enabled when you open an arrange window.
auto cords play a short note not a whole bar
Legato needs to be enabled. Tie Notes also, if you want notes to be continued across changes.
Wed, 2022-08-17 - 15:58 Permalink
Hi, With these phrases the chords don’t sound over the note on second beat. The legato enabled!
If I make a new instrument and make that track to chords track it solve the problem.
I am from Sweden and I have a Swisdish keys on my mac. When I try to changed keys shortcuts I get S key when I tap in the X key.
I use a track pad and sit a bit from the computer so I want to have the nearest key easy to touch.
And again how about the legato force? If I select one note and vanted to tie to next note I select the "Force legato"?
Wed, 2022-08-17 - 20:08 Permalink
Force Legato works per segment or across a span selection (or the entire Figure). It doesn't work for a single symbol. You can group the two symbols and then force legato.
The Swedish keyboard issue seems odd. I thought macOS would do the mapping of international keys. Synfire doesn't process raw key codes.
Wed, 2022-08-17 - 20:46 Permalink
Thanks! See if I can make better workflow. The short keys is now working as it should.
Thu, 2022-08-18 - 18:58 Permalink
@andre, the catalogue issue is still not resolved after reboot, reinstall. Am I the only one?
Fri, 2022-08-19 - 10:55 Permalink
It might be your keyboard shortcuts don't yet include the new command that was added with the update. Reset your keyboartd shortcuts once. That possibly solves it.
Fri, 2022-08-19 - 11:20 Permalink
Synfire 2.0.8 Patch A
- Fixed a crash when opening old library files
- Auto-Pedal not transferred correctly when phrase is dropped on arrange
- Auto-Pedal improved to be more smooth
- Promote persistency status to derived custom horizontal scales
- Improved coloring of black keys on keyboard widget
- Fixed a crash with parameter data display
- Fixed a crash with Catalog app
Fri, 2022-08-19 - 17:29 Permalink
I did reset keyboard commands to default.
I installed the patch.
Still no catalogue. It now gets a bit annoying. The catalogue and pallets based on it is a key feature.
How can I get it back ?
Forum: Do you have catalogue available in the menu?
My system: Mac, M1, most updated MacOS
Fri, 2022-08-19 - 17:58 Permalink
When I start Synfire on macOS, an empty Arrange window comes up. The Catalog item in the menu is enabled. As said, there needs to be a window open before the item gets enabled. With all windows closed, it is disabled.
Sat, 2022-08-20 - 07:19 Permalink
I have an arrangement window open too.
But the catalogue menu item is grayed out.
What is the solution?
Sat, 2022-08-20 - 10:08 Permalink
Update on MacOS Lost catalogue menu item:
I had to completely uninstall Synfire and reinstall it to get back the catalogue menu item.
This behavavior was intruduced with 2.08 #3.
Sat, 2022-08-20 - 10:13 Permalink
I have no idea yet. The item is disabled only if a Catalog window is already open (minimized on the dock?), or if no window is open at all. I can't reproduce the problem yet.
Sat, 2022-08-20 - 12:58 Permalink
Is it possible to disable automatic scanning of plugins when starting synfire?
Sat, 2022-08-20 - 17:40 Permalink
No. The scan should not be noticed anymore after it completed once.
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 11:28 Permalink
> The scan should not be noticed anymore after it completed once.
For me, it takes several minutes every time I start Synfire. I therefore try avoiding restarts...
In particular the Melda Production plugins seem to take rather long (about a second each, and there are quite a few as I have the complete collection) to scan for whatever reason.
This is on Windows 10.
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 12:11 Permalink
I'm on mac OS high sierra and it is the same, every restart it scans all plugins again!!
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 12:16 Permalink
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 18:30 Permalink
We had this issue a while back. Don't remember what the fix was. It never happened to me on any of the Macs and VMs here, so I can't reproduce.
If I remember correctly you had to re-run the scan from scratch (ticking that box before you start), so the resulting plugin list is rebuilt in its entirety.
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 20:03 Permalink
> you had to re-run the scan from scratch
I tried that. First started Synfire (with the usual waiting during the automatic scan), then opened Audio/MIDI Setup, selected the Audio tab, and clicked Scan Installed Plug-ins... Afterwards, Synfire started indeed much quicker and I did not see at all that it rescanned the plugins initially. So, thanks for this recommendation!
Anyway, it seems this is not an usual problem considering several users immediately confirmed the issue.
> I can't reproduce.
How often do you install or update new plugins? For me, this problem started after I updated the MeldaProduction plugin suite. Perhaps, the automatic re-scanning triggered by such updates has some problem (e.g., not actually updating the plugin list as the full rescan does)?
Anyway, just trying to help, as this may affect more users who install/update plugins after their Synfire installation. Again thanks for your advice.
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 21:02 Permalink
Yes, went to engine, re-scan from scratch (it took a LOT of time) and then when restarting, it was solved!
Sun, 2022-08-21 - 21:04 Permalink
Considering that the automatic rescanning is only shown in case there is a need to rescan, a quick improvement might be to simply add some text hint to the rescanning windows that advises in case of repeated rescans to trigger a manual full rescan (and briefly how to do that).
Mon, 2022-08-22 - 09:14 Permalink
Thanks. I will look into the code if it always updates the file correctly after a partial scan.
Thu, 2022-09-01 - 20:09 Permalink
Not sure if a bug or feature. Should it not be possible to drag snippets into the structure view?
Fri, 2022-09-02 - 13:00 Permalink
Good point. That should be possible. Next update.