I can't remember if it's in the user manual or somewhere in this forum, but I got an exact recognition of my take with setting the global key in the take parameter before beginning the figure recognition.
Without setting the global key
I got this
Having set the gk before the figure recognition
I got this
that is exactly what I played.
Hope this helps.
Wed, 2017-11-29 - 08:48 Permalink
PS -- I should have done something wrong when exporting to Lilypond or omitted some setting wherever else. Lilypond shifted the octaves in the second example.
Wed, 2017-11-29 - 08:52 Permalink
PPS -- setting the correct global key after the Figure Recognition will not produce the same result as if you had set it before.
Wed, 2017-11-29 - 11:30 Permalink
If you already know the key, yes, setting it in advance leads to better results.
The longer an input, the easier for Synfire to estimate the key. Short takes just carry too little information.
Wed, 2017-11-29 - 11:54 Permalink
In the user manual or somewherelse I read that's splitting a MIDI file in small chunks is strongly recommended. Wise idea. And I would add: play or improvise in your DAW, then split the recording in small chunks then export them one by one in Synfire, set the key/chords and, finally, convert all that beautiful stuff in figures that will be creatively manipulated. The alternative is to scramble everything: let Synfire do the harmonization and see what happens. Both ways are viable, to me. Peronsally I prefer to begin with the original Monnalisa painting then add moustaches :-)